If you're a beef lover, you've probably heard of the term "Angus beef". But have you heard of Matangi Angus Beef? In this blog post, we'll go over the juicy details of Matangi Angus Beef and explain why it's the ideal choice for any meat lover looking for the ultimate in flavour and tenderness.
What is Matangi Angus Beef?
Matangi Angus Beef is a premium beef product that's produced sustainably and supports a family owned boutique cattle station. We take great pride in breeding our cattle with a focus on outstanding 'eating quality,' which means that we prioritise features like intramuscular fat or marbling to guarantee that our meat is always flavorful and delicate. Our beef is independently graded for marbling, pH and meat colour. All beef with a Marble Score of 4+ (with low pH, specific meat and fat colour) we refer to as "Matangi Reserve Grade".
We are pleased to report that we achieved more than 50% Reserve grade in our animals during this past season. This is an outstanding accomplishment because the industry standard for 100% Grass Fed Angus Beef is around 20%.
We are highly committed to environmentally responsible and ethical agricultural practices, and we farm with a regenerative perspective. This implies that we prioritise things like more grass cover, less synthetic fertiliser, and subdivided paddocks, which all contribute to improved soil health, animal wellbeing, and premium meat quality.
Our land is essential in breeding healthy, flavorful Angus cattle. That is why we work hard to grow native trees, fence off creeks, and protect our soil and water supplies. We think that by doing so, we are not only providing a healthy environment for our cattle, but also contributing to the preservation of our magnificent natural surroundings.
We launched our first 28 animals to the market in 2019, and the response was incredibly good. Our customers were blown away by the quality of our beef, and we're devoted to continuing to supply you with the greatest beef available.
What is Marbling in Beef?
So, what makes Matangi Angus Beef unique? Let us begin with marbling. Beef's tenderness, juiciness, and flavour are all due to marbling.
Marbling refers to intramuscular fat in beef that appears as tiny specks or strips throughout the meat and is preferred over layered fat beef because the marbled fat melts as it cooks, making the finished steak juicy, flavorful, and tender.
What's more, marbling is not just a matter of taste… It's also a sign of quality! And this is where Matangi Angus Beef really thrives. We carefully choose our cattle for premium "eating quality," which includes features such as marbling, as intramuscular fat has a nice, buttery flavour and aids in the tenderization of muscle tissue, making it easier to chew. As a result, marbled beef is regarded to be of higher quality.
If you want to understand more about marbling and its significance in beef, be sure to read our blog post on the subject!
How is Matangi Angus Beef Different?
We are committed to providing beef that stands out from the crowd at Matangi Angus Beef. Here's how we make this happen:
- Breeding for eating quality: we carefully choose our breeding stock based on traits such as marbling and large muscle area to guarantee that our meat is consistently tasty and delicate.
- All of our animals are bred, born and grown on our properties for their entire life. We do not buy in stock from other farms. This means our product is 100% traceable. Our animals roam with their same mates for their whole lives. This is very important to minimise stress and ensure the quality of our product.
- Our animals are grown for a minimum of 24 months. This means we grow them for an extra winter which allows time for their marbling to further develop.
- All our beef is hung on the bone for 21 days before our butchers do the fine cutting. This ageing process leads to the depth of flavour you will experience with Matangi Angus Beef.
- High marbling in grass-fed Angus beef: marbling is a key factor in the eating quality of beef, improving texture, tenderness, juiciness, and flavour. Because of our focus on breeding for high marbling in our Angus cattle and our use of sustainable farming techniques, our beef is constantly gratifying and tasty with a full, rich flavour that is hard to find in other grass-fed products.
- Sustainable production: we're dedicated to beef production practices that promote the long-term health of our land and the local ecosystem. This entails cutting back on the use of synthetic fertilisers (we do not use synthetic nitrogen), cultivating using a regenerative method, we have fenced off waterways and are planting 2000-3000 natives every year, and Matangi Farm runs on solar energy.
- Reserve Grade Beef: our beef is independently graded each week using the Australian Marble Score method. Scores range from 0 (no marbling) to 9+ (intense marbling). While grass-fed animals are normally lean and rate no higher than MS 1-2, and prime grain-fed Angus cattle typically rank no higher than MS 4-5, this season our beef regularly received Marble Score ratings of 6. This means that our consumers will be able to enjoy the exceptional flavour and texture of beef with more marbling, a rare and unique feature in grass-fed beef.
Why Choose Matangi Angus Beef?
Matangi Angus Beef is New Zealand's greatest grass-fed alternative for meat lovers. Our beef is bred with a specific goal in mind, with a concentration on high intramuscular fats (marbling) to produce a tender, flavorful product. Contrary to popular belief, highly marbled beef is not more fatty and is a good source of "lean" protein. Our beef's marbling is mostly composed of heart-healthy oleic acid, which has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and possibly enhance HDL cholesterol. Our 100% grass-fed Angus cattle are raised on our farms for 24-32 months in a low-stress environment, where they are free to graze with the same mates for their whole lives. Matangi Angus Beef is hung on the bone for three weeks to build flavour and tenderness before being expertly prepared to our client's specifications by our Master Butcher.
Matangi Angus Beef is a premium, healthful, and mouthwatering beef option. Discover our top cuts and shop online today to taste the difference for yourself.